Today Erin Gordon spoke at Women In IT for Security B-Sides Orlando 2020 on Paranoia in Web Dev.
It’s not if you get attacked it’s when…Be prepared! Here are our best tips for web development security.
Why Developers are Paranoid
- Digital hacking is the new form of terrorism since covid
- There is an attack every 39 seconds on average on the web!
- Hackers steal 75 records every second!
- 73% of hackers said traditional firewall and antivirus security is irrelevant or obsolete.
- On average 30,000 new websites are hacked every day.
How Developers Mitigate Risk
- IP blocking
- Failed attempt blocks
- Daily scans and backups
- Having a web admin that constantly monitors for risk and attacks
- Separate servers for files, database, and email
Stay Paranoid but Agile
- Prepare as much as you can and expect the worst
- Highly recommend Sucuri – they are fast and affordable with cleaning
- Developers don’t go too far and not allow enough resources to support traffic spikes – causing server crashes or bad load speed
- Developers do share logins with correct permissions so more than you can work on the website. Hiding logins does not equal job security.